Rosario…of Legends and Tidepools

By Sammye Kempbell
Reprinted from Beach Log, October 2008, published by WSU Beach Watchers


On May 16, 1995, during a -3.2 tide, 29 school buses and numerous vans and vehicles carrying an estimated 1,200 people came to visit the Rosario Tidepools. As Beach Watchers know, after this event the rocky tidepools looked like a barren moonscape due to the trampling and destruction that day.


Many things have changed for the better since that sad day. The park now requires groups to register before coming. They are greeted and given beach etiquette training before they are given a task to complete while there. There is now a (marked) trail running through the tidepools that they are asked to stay on. There are permanent signs explaining the story and trails. Education and recovery of the tidepools area are now the goals.

During the summer there are wonderful volunteers, mostly Beach Watchers, who give freely of their time and knowledge to educate and inspire the visitors. Some spend their time at the education table helping people. Others work down in the tidepool area.

Something so awesome happens when a 10-year-old begins to ask the most interesting questions. At first I wonder, "How will I answer his questions?" Sometimes it is beyond my knowledge. As beach naturalists we have to be honest and say we don't know, but we share what we do know. We also suggest books, websites and visits to the library.

With awe I watched a 2-1/2 year old little girl gently lift up the seaweed to discover what was hiding underneath. It was amazing when I saw her lying across a rock on her tummy, gazing into a tidepool, and then gently reaching in with a finger to touch something. It was enough to inspire me to continue to do what I do.

When I see a child bring his parents down and begin to teach them about this fragile ecosystem I am inspired to do what I do. I learn from the public every single day I am on the beach. In July we had a group of school children visiting from Montana. Oh my gosh! They were so lucky! A large pod of Orcas passed right by us that afternoon. How wonderful that those children got to see Orcas in the wild, among other wonders at Rosario.

Most of the people introduced to the trail system are really appreciative of the opportunity to do their part helping with the recovery. A few are challenging. I guess I like a little bit of challenge, as they inspire me to do what I do. Sometimes I think if I can teach enough people they will teach others and eventually most of us will understand. The education people get at Rosario can be shared on any beach. My hope is that the people with whom we interact will share with others what we have shared with them.

On the 4th of July weekend we interacted with 484 people. Now that took teamwork! I am so proud of the great volunteers who made that day a success. As beach naturalists we talked to 7,165 people in 2008. Most of that was done at Rosario Beach. Without knowing that the seaweed in the tidepools is the nursery for new life and the hope for recovery, damage occurs repeatedly. When the visitors number in the thousands, inadvertent destruction occurs. There are too many feet, contaminated hands from natural oils on our skin, sunscreen, hand lotion and bug spray, too many little crabs that fall too far from hands or that get crushed by a rock. So the efforts of our volunteers continue! I invite you to come and explore Rosario with me next summer.